Friday, October 2, 2009

PASSION

Education is not the filling of a bucket, but the lighting of a fire. W.B. Yeats

When it comes to good or great teachers I would say most of them had this quality about them. They were the ones who showed up early and left late. If you needed help, they were willing to give up their time to help you. They were the ones who wanted you to share their passion with you, so one day you might want to continue what they've started.

One of my best teachers that I can say who exuded tremendous amounts of passion was my baseball coach. A lot of guys had a tendency to be laid back or get bored at practice but Coach was the one to bring excitement to the field. You never really knew what he was going to do next. Things like telling random stories how stuff happened to him to getting angry and throwing stuff or simply just being engaged and super excited when he was trying to make a point. He was always doing something to show that he wanted to be there even when we didnt. I remember one time we had a film session and my swing wasnt looking the best. I really didnt think the point he was making was legitimate but he was going to make me see what I was doing wrong. He hopped up on one of the desks grabbed a bat from underneath and proceeded to show me what I did wrong. I played great after that because I really focused on what he was doing. That is what I call Passion when a teacher, coach, whoever is willing to go up and above the norm for a pupil to learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment